According to Cheeroutdoor, Somerset, Texas is located in Bexar County in the south-central part of the state. The area is known for its rolling hills and limestone outcroppings. The climate is semi-arid, with hot summers and mild winters. The average temperature ranges from a high of 90 degrees Fahrenheit in the summer to a low of 45 degrees Fahrenheit in winter. Rainfall averages about 24 inches per year.
Somerset has a rich history that dates back to the 18th century when it was part of the Spanish colonial empire. It was founded as a trading post and became an important stop along the San Antonio–El Paso Road during the 19th century. In recent years, Somerset has become a popular destination for tourists and retirees alike due to its small-town charm and proximity to larger cities such as San Antonio and Austin.
Politically, Somerset is represented by both Republicans and Democrats at both local and state levels. The economy is largely driven by tourism, with many visitors coming to explore the area’s natural beauty, visit historical sites, or simply enjoy some peace and quiet away from more urban areas.
The town has several schools within its boundaries including elementary schools, middle schools, high schools, as well as several private institutions such as St Philip’s College which offers two-year degree programs in various fields such as business administration, nursing, engineering technology and computer science.
There are also numerous landmarks throughout Somerset that celebrate its history such as Mission Espada which was built in 1731 by Franciscan friars who served Native Americans living nearby; Old Spanish Trail Park which commemorates travelers who followed this route during the 19th century; Rittiman Road which follows an old stagecoach route; Mission San Juan Capistrano which was founded in 1731; and several other historical sites throughout the city.
Population: 1,550. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,779 (+14.8% change)
Males: 769 (49.6%), Females: 781 (50.4%)
Zip code: 78069
Median resident age: 31.0 years
Median household income: $30,268
Median house value: $50,800
Races in Somerset:
- Hispanic (70.5%)
- White Non-Hispanic (28.3%)
- Other race (16.0%)
- Two or more races (4.8%)
- American Indian (2.1%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: United States (7.5%), German (5.5%), Irish (3.8%), English (2.9%), Scotch-Irish (2.1%), Italian (1.3%).
Land area: 2.0 square miles
Somerset, Texas is a small town located in Bexar County, with a population of just over 10,000 people. The majority of the population is made up of White Americans, with African Americans and Hispanics making up the second and third largest demographic groups respectively. Approximately 4% of the population are foreign-born. The median age in Somerset is 37 years old, with a median household income of $56,000. The town has seen an increase in population since 2000 due to the availability of jobs and its proximity to San Antonio. It’s also become a popular destination for retirees due to its peaceful atmosphere and low cost of living. In addition to this, many young families have moved to Somerset for its excellent school system and safe neighborhoods. As a result, there are many recreational opportunities available for locals such as parks and trails for biking or walking. There are also several local businesses which provide employment opportunities within the community, as well as several restaurants and bars which offer entertainment options on the weekends.
For population 25 years and over in Somerset
- High school or higher: 64.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 5.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.8%
- Unemployed: 3.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 33.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Somerset city
- Never married: 28.0%
- Now married: 52.5%
- Separated: 3.3%
- Widowed: 6.0%
- Divorced: 10.2%
6.5% Foreign born (6.1% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +404 (+35.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Somerset:
- SOUTHWEST GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 11 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
- CHRISTUS SANTA ROSA CHILDRENS HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
- CHRISTUS SANTA ROSA HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Somerset:
- LACKLAND AFB (KELLY FLD ANNEX) (about 13 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SKF)
- SAN ANTONIO INTL (about 25 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SAT)
- AUSTIN-BERGSTROM INTL (about 95 miles; AUSTIN, TX; Abbreviation: AUS)
Other public-use airports nearest to Somerset:
- HORIZON (about 12 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: 74R)
- STINSON MUNI (about 16 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Abbreviation: SSF)
- CASTROVILLE MUNI (about 16 miles; CASTROVILLE, TX; Abbreviation: T89)
Amtrak station near Somerset:
- 19 miles: SAN ANTONIO (224 HOEFGEN ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, call for taxi service.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Somerset:
- PALO ALTO COLLEGE (about 11 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,623)
- OUR LADY OF THE LAKE UNIVERSITY-SAN ANTONIO (about 17 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,312)
- ST MARYS UNIVERSITY (about 18 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,588)
- ST PHILIPS COLLEGE (about 19 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,778)
- SAN ANTONIO COLLEGE (about 20 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,226)
- TRINITY UNIVERSITY (about 20 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,474)
- THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS HEALTH SCIENCE-SAN ANTONIO (about 20 miles; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,303)
Public high school in Somerset:
- SOMERSET HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 853; Location: 19644 SOMERSET RD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Somerset:
- SOMERSET JUNIOR HIGH (Students: 729; Location: 19644 SOMERSET RD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- SOMERSET VETERANS ELEMENTARY (Students: 683; Location: 19644 SOMERSET RD; Grades: PK – 05)
- SOMERSET ELEMENTARY (Students: 621; Location: 19644 SOMERSET RD; Grades: 01 – 05)
- SOMERSET EARLY CHILDHOOD ELEMENTAR (Students: 396; Location: 19644 SOMERSET RD; Grades: PK – 01)