According to campingship, Hartford, South Dakota is a city with a population of 1,974 people according to the 2010 census. Located in the southeastern corner of the state, it is situated on the banks of the Big Sioux River. The climate in Hartford is typical for the Midwest, with hot summers and cold winters. The city has a rich history that dates back to its founding in 1871. It was originally a fur trading post, and later served as an important stop on the railroad between Sioux Falls and Yankton.
Politically, Hartford is part of Minnehaha County and its residents are represented by both state and federal representatives. The economy of Hartford is largely based on agriculture and light industry such as food processing and manufacturing. There are also many small businesses that serve local residents including restaurants, shops, and services. Education in Hartford is provided by two public school districts: Hartford Public School District 46-2 and Tri-Valley School District 47-5. Both offer elementary through high school education as well as some post-secondary classes through their adult learning centers.
For landmarks, there are several points of interest within the city limits such as historic buildings like the old train depot which now serves as a museum dedicated to local history; Riverside Park which offers fishing opportunities along with playgrounds, picnic areas; and a memorial honoring veterans from Connecticut who served during World War II. There are also several churches located throughout town including St Mary’s Catholic Church which has been in operation since 1891.
Population: 1,844. Estimated population in July 2020: 2,065 (+12.0% change)
Males: 900 (48.8%), Females: 944 (51.2%)
Zip code: 57033
Median resident age: 32.2 years
Median household income: $48,333
Median house value: $93,000
Races in Hartford:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.3%)
- American Indian (1.9%)
- Two or more races (0.9%)
Ancestries: German (51.8%), Norwegian (16.8%), Irish (14.6%), English (7.9%), Dutch (5.0%), United States (5.0%).
Elevation: 1568 feet
Land area: 1.5 square miles
Hartford, South Dakota is a small town located in the northeastern region of the state. As of the 2010 census, the population was 784. The majority of residents are White (93.9%), followed by American Indian and Alaska Native (4.0%), and two or more races (1.4%). The median age for residents is 39 years old, with 21.5% under 18 and 13.8% over 65 years old.
The majority of households are married couples living together at 38%, with 17% having children under 18 living with them. The median household income is $48,750 and the per capita income is $21,947. While most people in Hartford are employed in blue-collar occupations such as farming and construction, there is also a growing number working in office and administrative support roles as well as sales positions. Education levels are relatively high for a rural town; 92% have graduated from high school or higher, with 27% possessing a bachelor’s degree or higher. This reflects both the importance placed on education by families as well as the availability of educational opportunities provided by nearby institutions like Augustana University and South Dakota State University.
For population 25 years and over in Hartford
- High school or higher: 89.0%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.0%
- Unemployed: 3.2%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Hartford city
- Never married: 21.1%
- Now married: 62.3%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 5.4%
- Divorced: 10.6%
1.2% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +557 (+43.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Hartford:
- AVERA MCKENNAN HOSP&UNIVERSITY HLTH CT (about 12 miles; SIOUX FALLS, SD)
- SIOUX VALLEY HOSPITAL (about 12 miles; SIOUX FALLS, SD)
- SELECT SPECIALTY HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; SIOUX FALLS, SD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Hartford:
- JOE FOSS FIELD (about 16 miles; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Abbreviation: FSD)
- BROOKINGS MUNI (about 48 miles; BROOKINGS, SD; Abbreviation: BKX)
- CHAN GURNEY MUNI (about 58 miles; YANKTON, SD; Abbreviation: YKN)
Other public-use airports nearest to Hartford:
- MARV SKIE-LINCOLN COUNTY (about 16 miles; TEA, SD; Abbreviation: Y14)
- MADISON MUNI (about 28 miles; MADISON, SD; Abbreviation: MDS)
- CANTON MUNI (about 35 miles; CANTON, SD; Abbreviation: 7G9)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Hartford:
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 53 miles; BROOKINGS, SD; Full-time enrollment: 7,353)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA (about 56 miles; VERMILLION, SD; Full-time enrollment: 6,014)
- WESTERN IOWA TECH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 97 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,639)
- WAYNE STATE COLLEGE (about 97 miles; WAYNE, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,026)
- SOUTHWEST STATE UNIVERSITY (about 99 miles; MARSHALL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,405)
- NORTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 126 miles; NORFOLK, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,732)
- BUENA VISTA UNIVERSITY (about 140 miles; STORM LAKE, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,524)
Public high school in Hartford:
- WEST CENTRAL HI SCH (Students: 355; Location: 705 E 2ND; Grades: 09 – 12)