DICTIONARY OF CYCLING
Due to popular demand, we capture in this text a kind of dictionary of terms cyclists on the bicycle, its components, modalities, etc ..
You can send us words with meaning or suggest terms that may believe that should be in this dictionary to us in order to expand it and make it richer and interesting.
* ACOPLES: are placed on the handlebars, handlebar road triathlon provides aerodynamics, mountain horns improve performance on slopes and relax your arms.
* A-HEAD: New steering system that dispenses thread on the tube, this thanks to the power is held.
* AIRLINES: change system shimano air driven.
* ALL MOUNTAIN: (AM) anglicized High Mountain in Castilian that is used to name a type of mountain biking (MTB) in which the courses have dificulatad remarkable technique to include trialeras and spend more or less broken ground.
* SADDLE ANGLE: With the bike horizontally, inclinaciónque has the seat tube.
* Steering angle: It directly affects the direction, the range can range from 68 to 75 degrees. The more lying is the quieter tube will address. At the opposite pole we find
with a quick and responsive steering.
* REAR SHOCK: He is responsible for absorbing the irregularities of the land-suspension bikes.
* Anodized: antiwear Treatment covering some components, such as wheels,
can be of different colors depending on the manufacturer or fashion.
* A TOPE: Welding made without fittings, tube against tube.
* PREVIEW: (hairpin): The resulting measure to draw a straight line from the steering shaft, and measure between it and the axis of the wheel.
* BADANA: Also called suede, is a pillow shaped specifically to provide comfort on the saddle and is built into most culottes or cycling shorts.
* TILT: The back of the bikes suspension, sustituyea pods and suspenders; in all cases is articulated since it is part of the suspension.
* BICONIFICADO: Thinning of the tube walls in the lower area centralpara weight without losing resistance.
* CRANK: Element on which the force is exerted while pedaling. In which the “plates” and “pedals” are placed.
* Bieletas SUSPENSION: They are responsible for desmultiplicar the action of the rear suspension.
* BOTTLES: In suspension forks, are the arms where the bars are inserted.
* . BTT: Abbreviation for mountain bikes or MTB Mountain Bike or Mountain Bike
* HUBS: Parts of central movement of the wheels, the rear sprocket, on the fins the radii are fixed is attached.
C – D
TOP WIRING: When brake cables and change are on the horizontal tube rather than below the downtube. * BOX SHORT / lONG BOX: refers to the length of the rear derailleur. * BOTTOM BRACKET: axis connecting the two connecting rods. * cHANGE : the charge of transmitting our orders to engage the desired development or appropriate to our pedaling and effort from the shifter passing the string of a crown to another. * cHANGE tHE fIST: System integrated change that works by turning a type throttle grip motorcycle. Also called Twist Shifters. * CASETTE: hub system in which there is no gear itself, but the gears are inserted into the hub itself; while crowns are placed on the outer body of the same. * QUICK CLOSURE: A system that allows remove the saddle or the wheels turning by hand a small lever, without using any tools. * CROWNS: carved pieces, diversity of number of teeth in meshing chain. * ROOFING:. Along with the air chamber located inside are responsible for comfort when rolling * BIB: the name given to the specific cycling pants, very girded without seams for greater freedom of movement and comfort. Most incorporate bandana or chamois to improve comfort on the saddle.
* CROMOLY: Steel cromomolibleno. . Alloy chrome steel very light and durable
* TABLE MIXED: design with sloping top tube for easy mounting and dismounting and avoids possible strokes.
* SUCKED CHAIN: When the chain is absorbed by the pod right to stay engaged between this and dishes.
* gROUND CLEARANCE: the measured from the center of the bottom bracket to the ground.
* DISTANCE pODS: measure from the center of the bottom bracket to the center of the rear toe.
* Wheelbase: is the straight line distance from the center of the front axle to the center of the rear axle.
* ADDRESS: system composed tracks and cages or ball bearings that allow rotation.
* DEVELOPMENT: walking distance bike by pedaling, is given by the selected speed.
(number of chainring and crown)
* DESVIADOR: Transmits our orders from the shifter, shifting the chain from one plate to another.
* DESVIADOR TOP sWING: Known as diverters type dish seesaw reduce the necessary effort in action to change.
* DOUBLE TRIANGLE: regular Structure bicycles, three main tubes, more pods and suspenders back.
* DOWN hILL: (DH) the type of mountain biking (mTB) based only in the fall, no matter how you climb, the important thing is to descend and the fastest way possible. Requires a lot of technique and the use of proteccioes of all kinds.
* DUAL PIVOT: System dual pivot brakes road.
* DUAL PULL: design coupling will deflector plates that allows connection of the upper or lower cable.
E – F – G
* EASY-GRIP. Fist two diameters change makes change easier to young people and those with small hands
* Bottom Bracket: Inserted in the bottom bracket, sealed normalment. On the same rods are mounted.
* Elastomers: Rubber bands of different hardnesses to facilitate the operation of a type of suspension fork.
ENDURO: Applied to cycling, describes a form of mtb that combines two other categories: ALL MOUNTAIN and FREE RIDE. Tours that require high technical capacity, with long descents and lapsing by ground very broken and varied.
* EPOXY: glues from the aircraft that are used to join tubes aluminum and fiber
* ERGOBRAIN: bike computer with control function integrated exchange controls. Manufactured by Campagnolo.
* ERGOPOWER: integrated controls change made by Campagnolo.
* SOUNDING: They say manufacturers complete list of elements and parts of a bicycle.
* FLIGHT DECK: bike computer with control functions built into the shift knob. . Manufactured by shimano
* FREE BIKE: city bike sharing advantages of mountain and road.
* FREE RIDE: (FR) mode mountain biking (MTB) involving large descents, jumps and routes with technical requirements. Enduro also called by some, requires a great deal of skill on the part of the cyclist.
* FULLY: full -suspension bike.
* GEL: used in some saddles for greater comfort. It is also used in gloves and bandanas culotte.
* GORILLA. Bridge linking the two cams of brake supports to prevent bending of the pods at the time of braking
* GRIP: Gripping and tire grip. Also in some contexts is used to describe the limit of the tires skidding on a curve.
H – I – J – K * HARDTAIL: Bicycle with front suspension.
* HYDRO: Type based oil and air suspension.
* FORK FORMED: Hairpin that dispenses welds, bars or arms are bolted
to the fork head.
* HYPERDRYVE: Definition of shimano for indexing dishes change.
* HYPERGLYDE : System shimano, which facilitates change through a specific cut of each tooth crown.
* HIPRERDRIVE-C: Plates and more compact gears and carved specific to improve the changes.
* HOLLOWTECH: crank arm forged and hollow maintains resistance while significantly reducing weight.
* IG: transmission system that prevents developments in the longest chain jump from one sprocket to another.
* KEVLAR: Fibre braid with carbon fiber to leverage its greater elasticity. It is used
in the construction of wheels to improve performance against punctures and also to replace the wire loop to make them pliable.
L – M – N – Ñ
LOW-FLEX: Braking system evolved by shimano that reduces the flexibility of the box and cantilevered during braking. * INTEGRATED CONTROL: a system that incorporates the change in brake lever, is mainly used on road bikes. * MANILLAR. Lets have control over the bike * hANDLE DOUBLE hEIGHT: When the height thereof is lower in the center than at the ends. Provides greater driving comfort. * MACHINING: Manufacturing process lathe, in which a starting from a metal block (on bicycles calls factories aluminum parts with CNC) piece is built * MegaRange: Pinion it characterized by ultrashort up of 34 teeth. * MEKTRONIC. integrated electronic change through digitally encoded radiowaves SetManufactured by Mavic. * cASTING: casting process using molten wax fittings. * MMC: Metal matrix composite. A major metal, usually aluminum, is reinforced by another; the most common is aluminum oxide and ceramics. * single arm. When the arms of the front fork or rear pods, are no longer two become one * MONOCASCO: Pictures that are made on a mold, are a piece; ie there are no joints or pipes. * monostay: Type of construction in which the straps become one to gain strength. (also called whisbone) * MONOTUBO: Construction on the main part of the box is a tube large diameter. * MTB: Abbreviation for mountain bike or mountain bike. It also appoints and mountain biking.
O – P – Q – R
* OCTALINK: System anchor rods with the bottom bracket which provides greater stiffness in the joint (crank / bottom bracket) by a splined system.
* OVERSIZE: Oversized diameter of the tubes, based on the principle that increasing the same can decrease the thickness of the wall, achieving greater rigidity without increasing the weight.
* OGD: Optical Gear Display. Indicator present in most shimano groups to know the development chosen.
* Paralax: Bushings oversized, which increase stiffness.
* Clipless pedals. Fixing system that allows release the turning foot
* POLEAS CHANGE: Along with the gearbox run the chain and are responsible for the chain always have the correct voltage.
* POWER: An element that connects the head tube to the handlebar, can be of different lengths
PSI: System English pressure measurement air is short for Pound per square inch in Spanish. Approximately 14 psi corresponds to 1 bar pressure or kg.
* TOE: Parts forged steel, aluminum or carbon which are welded at the ends of the rear pods, or fork and the wheels are fixed. On the right side is the derailleur, which can be removable or not.
* BRIDGE BRAKE: on suspension forks, the party responsible for increasing the rigidity connecting the two bottles.
* CONNECTORS: Spare connecting the pipes, by welding or gluing.
* RADIOS: Unite bushings and rim or hoop.
* tumbleweed: Covered with low rolling resistance. Racing fast for tours Cross Country (XC).
* THREAD: Cantilever arms to the frame where accessories such as fenders or racks are installed.
* WHEEL 16 “, 20”, 24 “…. Referred to the size of the wheel measure expresses the wheel diameter in inches.
* FREEWHEEL: Set of crowns which engages the chain, is located on the rear axle when pedaling moves the wheel and when we do not , the wheel turns freely..
S – T – U – V
* SEALED: System fully protected bearings water or dust.The balls are an inseparable part of the raceways (bushings, steering and bottom bracket are sealed component normally found).
* SADDLE: An element on which we sat on the bike.Should be placed horizontal to the ground.
* SYNCHRONIZED: A mechanism that allows us toselect the speed accurately, without
* SMARTCAGE: The use of pulleys instead of 13 and 15 teeth allows a box smaller chain that can accept a wide range of very large sprockets.
* SLOPING: When the horizontal tube draws a downline from the direction to the saddle.
* SPCM (shimano power change mechanism) the change effort is significantly reduced because the diverter is activated by rotation the connecting rod.
* SPD: automatic and slippers pedals with anchor for them.
* sPIDER aRM: arm spider, is a piece of aluminum four arms where they placed the rear crowns.
* TAP-FIRE: push change under stress .
. * TERMOPEGADO: Union between pipes and fittings with glue and subsequent baking
* TIJA: element linking the saddle with picture, can have variosdiámetros according to construction.
* TIG welding tungsten; the tubes are welded into a chamber of inert gas to prevent oxygen weaken unions.
* BRACES: The tubes are in the area of the seat to the rear dropouts.
* TLR: Abbreviation used to designate tubeless tires light or too tubeless ready.
* TPI: Abbreviation for threads per inch or threads per inch. The more TPI has a tire more density has its compound and more flexible and light is.
* TRANSMISSION: Abbreviation where the chain, sprocket, the rear derailleur, front derailleur, avocado trees and cranks fall.
* MAIN TRIANGLE: The form horizontal, diagonal and oblique tubes.
* TRIALERA: Trail with some unevenness that means having enough technique to lower it due to the inclination and / or the state of the terrain that descends.
* rEAR TRIANGLE: they form the rear sheath, back braces and standpipe.
* TUBELESS: tubeless tire. It applies to wheels (tires) that can incorporate Tubeless tires and tires perfectly prepared to engage in tubeless tires without
* TUBELESS READY: O Tubeless Light. Applies to tires that can be tubelizados by having a reinforced sidewalls to talonar tightly on any tire is tubeless or not but need sealing liquid to the assembly wheel-tire perfectly sealed.
* PIPES: Normally bicycles consist of 11 tubes different materials, together with fittings or welding
* TUBULAR. type cover with integrated camera
* tUBE SADDLE oR VERTICAL: Measured center of the bottom bracket to the center of the top tube, the result is the height in centimeters. The new designs have changed this concept.
* SUPERIOR TUBE: Sometimes called horizontal tube. In traditional box measures was the same as the measure of the seat tube. Currently there are concepts that vary the extent this tube. (Genesis Geometry)
* DOWN TUBE: Attach the head tube and bottom bracket.
* ULTRA-DRIVE: System carved crowns that optimizes change.
* UST: Abbreviation for Universal System Tubeless. The principle on which it is based is that it is designed as a whole. That is, it must have obtained a tire with specific edges UST and their respective valves and pneumatic compatible with that system. The UST tires lack the coupling holes of the spokes of the wheel, so that simply mounting the valve on the rim get a sealed joint avoiding air leakage. In turn, the specific tire UST, have a watertight membrane reinforced sidewalls to seat perfectly on UST rims. With this system liquid sealant is needed inside the tire.
* PODS: The tubes that go from the box bottom bracket to the rear dropouts.
* PODS HIGH: Design “lifts” the rear pods, which are no longer attached to the bottom bracket .
* V-BRAKE: Brakes that provide greater stopping power thanks to its lever arm and the draft system cable 90 degrees.
* SPEEDS: Number of theoretical developments riding a bike.
W – X – Y – Z / / 0-9 *
XC. Abbreviation for Cross Country mode mountain biking (mTB) oriented routes with ups and downs but which is more important traveled to the difficulty of land away * SHOES: formed by a support Parts , which is coupled to the brake lever, and a special rubber compound that rubs against the rim. * 3T: Three tubes (tretubi in Italian) * 3 / 2.5: Percentages of aluminum and vanadium present in most tubes titanium used in pictures. You can send corrections, suggestions or terms and words you consider that should be in this dictionary to the data sources directly.
VeloMap.org -Roadbike – Bicycle
Bike Frame Names
Mountain Biking from Central Alborz to the Caspian …
Training to Increase Your VO2 Max
The Cycle of Conflict theory — twentysomething101.com …
Student Survive 2 Thrive: Free Medical Terminology Flash …
What The Hell Is DA Anyway?
[Full text] New treatments in development for Pseudomonas …
Training and Racing with a Power Meter, 2nd Ed.
A New Perspective on Microbes Formerly Known as Nitrite …
Number of proliferating cells in Setd8-deleted anagen b …
[Full text] The relationship between exercise capacity and …
Chico Aquaponic: Keeping a log
INFOGRAPHIC: The Incomparable RideShark ‘Campus Commuter …
10 of the best places to see gorillas
United States Quiz
The European cycle route network
map it driving directions