Canada Travel Guide

Canada Travel Guide


Current information

German citizens who are exempt from the visa requirement for Canada have, since March 15, 2016, to obtain an electronic entry permit in advance in order to be able to enter Canada by air. This is not required for entry by land. For details and the link to the official website of the Canadian government, see “Entry Requirements for German Citizens”.

Country-specific safety information

There is currently no country-specific safety notice for Canada.



1 Canadian dollar = 100 cents. Currency abbreviation: C $, CAD (ISO code). There are banknotes in denominations of 100, 50, 20, 10 and 5 C $. Coins with denominations of 2 and 1 C $ as well as 50 (rare), 25, 10, 5 and 1 cent (1 cent coins have not been minted since 2012).

Credit cards

International credit cards such as MasterCard and Visa, but also American Express and Diners Club are accepted almost everywhere in Canada. Details from the issuer of the credit card in question.


ec / Maestro card / Sparcard
With an ec / Maestro card and PIN number, cash in the local currency can be withdrawn from ATMs and often cashless payments can be made. ATMs are available everywhere. In order to be able to withdraw money from ATMs in Canada, the card must have an Interac symbol. Cards with the Cirrus or Maestro symbol are accepted worldwide. Further information from banks and credit institutes. ATMs are located at banks and in many other places in cities and airports.

Attention: Travelers who pay with their bank card abroad and want to withdraw money should find out about the possibilities of using their card from their bank before starting their journey.

Bank opening times

Mon-Fri 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. / 5 p.m., Thursdays and Fridays sometimes longer.

Foreign exchange regulations

No restrictions. Obligation to declare from an amount equivalent to C $ 10,000.

Currency Exchange

Money can be exchanged at banks, officially recognized financial institutions and exchange offices. Shops, hotels and restaurants also exchange money, but usually at a lower rate than financial institutions.




The big hotel chains are represented in the big cities, advance booking is strongly recommended. All over the country one can find inns, accommodation on farms, guest houses and lodges (holiday homes or self-catering complexes). Hunting and fishing trips in the north are best organized through outfitters, guides (often with a license from the local tourist office) who organize equipment, transport, and accommodation.

Information is available from the Tourist Office (see addresses) or the Canadian Hotel Association: Hotel Association of Canada, Suite 1206, 130 Albert Street, Ottawa, Ontario K1P 5G4. (Tel: (613) 237 71 49. Internet:

Categories:There is the voluntary national classification system from Canada Select (Internet: There is also a classification according to one to five diamonds by the CAA (Internet:


Campers and caravans are great for exploring Canada. There are two different types of vehicle: a motorhome is a vehicle in which the living room / bedroom is connected to the driver’s area and which can accommodate up to 5 people. A camper has a living / sleeping cabin that is separate from the driver’s area and offers accommodation for 3 people. There are numerous models with different levels of comfort, but all have air conditioning, a refrigerator, stove, sink, toilet and shower. All vehicles have power steering and automatic.

Gasoline consumption is high, but gasoline costs only about half as much as in Europe. Drivers must be over 25 years old. The rental prices depend on the season. The main season is between June and September. The national park campsites are open from mid-May to the end of September. More information under the headings of the respective provinces or from the tourist office (see addresses).

Other accommodation options

There are youth hostels in major cities and national parks of Canada, a country located in North America according to ehistorylib. Further information is available from Hostelling International Canada, (Tel: (613) 237 78 84. Internet:



Wood carvings, ceramics, cotton work, and other local handicrafts. Most provinces (with the exception of Yukon, Alberta, and the Northwest Territories) have a 5% to 7% sales tax on shops, restaurants and hotels that is refundable upon departure.

Shop opening times:
Mon-Fri 9 am-5.30pm / 6pm; some shops open Fri until 9 p.m. Most of the shops are open on Saturdays and some smaller shops are also open on Sundays. Some shops also open 24 hours.



The provincial capitals of the more densely populated areas offer nightclubs and dancing in the hotels. Ottawa, Toronto, Winnipeg and Vancouver are centers for opera, classical music and ballet with guest performances by international orchestras and artists.

Canada Travel Guide