Beech Bottom, West Virginia is located in the northern panhandle of the state. It sits on the Ohio River and is bordered to the north by Ohio and to the east by Pennsylvania. The city has a humid continental climate with cold winters and hot summers. The average temperature in winter is around 25°F and in summer it can reach up to 90°F. Check whicheverhealth for information about Anawalt, West Virginia.
The city’s history dates back to 1871 when it was first settled as a small fishing village. Over time it developed into a major industrial center, with many coal mines and steel mills being built in the area. As time went on, Beech Bottom became an important transportation hub due to its proximity to both railway lines and waterways.
Today, Beech Bottom’s economy is largely based on manufacturing and services, with several large companies located within its borders. It also has a vibrant tourism industry thanks to its close proximity to both Pittsburgh and Cleveland, which draw many visitors each year.
For education, Beech Bottom provides plenty of options for residents of all ages. There are a number of elementary schools within city limits as well as a middle school and high school for older students. There are also several universities located nearby that offer higher education opportunities for those who wish to pursue further studies after high school graduation.
Finally, Beech Bottom has several notable landmarks which make it unique from other cities in West Virginia. These include Fort Henry Park which was built during the Civil War; The National Museum of Coal Mining which showcases the history of coal mining in West Virginia; The Grand Theater which hosts live performances; And lastly, The Historic Centre Market which offers fresh produce from local farmers as well as handmade crafts from local artisans.
Population: 606. Estimated population in July 2020: 576 (-5.0% change)
Males: 276 (45.5%), Females: 330 (54.5%)
Zip code: 26030
Median resident age: 42.8 years
Median household income: $33,393
Median house value: $37,600
Races in Beech Bottom:
- White Non-Hispanic (99.2%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
Ancestries: Irish (23.6%), German (22.4%), United States (7.9%), Italian (6.3%), Hungarian (5.0%), Polish (4.6%).
Elevation: 689 feet
Land area: 0.8 square miles
Beech Bottom, West Virginia is a small town with a population of about 1,600 people. The majority of the residents in Beech Bottom are White non-Hispanic, making up 94.2% of the population. There are also small percentages of African American and Hispanic residents, as well as a few Asian and Native American residents. The median household income in Beech Bottom is around $44,844 per year and the median home value is $65,500. Most of the housing in Beech Bottom consists of single-family homes and mobile homes.
The cost of living in Beech Bottom is relatively low compared to other parts of the country. The average price for a gallon of gas is around $2.50, while groceries and utilities tend to be on the cheaper side as well. Housing costs are also very affordable with rent averaging around $650 per month for a two-bedroom apartment or house. Healthcare costs are also relatively low compared to other parts of the country due to its rural location and lack of major hospitals or medical centers nearby. Overall, living costs in Beech Bottom provide an excellent value for those looking for an affordable place to live without sacrificing quality or convenience.
For population 25 years and over in Beech Bottom
- High school or higher: 76.6%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 10.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.1%
- Unemployed: 6.9%
- Mean travel time to work: 24.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Beech Bottom village
- Never married: 25.5%
- Now married: 48.5%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 16.2%
- Divorced: 9.4%
0.8% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +280 (+85.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Beech Bottom:
- EAST OHIO REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 10 miles; MARTINS FERRY, OH)
- TRINITY HEALTH SYSTEM (about 11 miles; STEUBENVILLE, OH)
- OHIO VALLEY MEDICAL CENTER (about 11 miles; WHEELING, WV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Beech Bottom:
- PITTSBURGH INTERNATIONAL (about 35 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Abbreviation: PIT)
- ALLEGHENY COUNTY (about 52 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Abbreviation: AGC)
- MORGANTOWN MUNI-WALTER L. BILL HART FLD (about 66 miles; MORGANTOWN, WV; Abbreviation: MGW)
Other public-use airports nearest to Beech Bottom:
- WHEELING OHIO CO (about 5 miles; WHEELING, WV; Abbreviation: HLG)
- JEFFERSON COUNTY AIRPARK (about 10 miles; STEUBENVILLE, OH; Abbreviation: 2G2)
- EDDIE DEW MEMORIAL AIRPARK (about 17 miles; TORONTO, OH; Abbreviation: 1G8)
Amtrak station near Beech Bottom:
- 12 miles: WHEELING (70 12TH ST.) – Bus Station
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Beech Bottom:
- WEST LIBERTY STATE COLLEGE (about 6 miles; WEST LIBERTY, WV; Full-time enrollment: 2,453)
- ROBERT MORRIS COLLEGE (about 38 miles; MOON TOWNSHIP, PA; Full-time enrollment: 3,426)
- GENEVA COLLEGE (about 44 miles; BEAVER FALLS, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,059)
- UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH-MAIN CAMPUS (about 46 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 22,930)
- DUQUESNE UNIVERSITY (about 46 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 8,199)
- COMMUNITY COLLEGE OF ALLEGHENY COUNTY (about 47 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 9,058)
- POINT PARK COLLEGE (about 49 miles; PITTSBURGH, PA; Full-time enrollment: 2,189)
Public primary/middle school in Beech Bottom:
- BEECH BOTTOM PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 91; Location: HIGH STREET; Grades: KG – 04)